Here we go.

24 January 2012

What's tops in January 2012

1.  Internet radio: I know what I like and you know what you like & we can make playlists all day and night, but sometimes you've gotta get out of that vacuum and leave it to the pros.  Good DJs are ones that introduce me to new (or new to me) music.  A few of my favorites:
  • The Crystal Telephone with Rotary Rachel.  I'm not going to even try to peg her style, so just have a listen.  If you don't listen to her show, you should at least follow her on twitter.  She is so clever & funny, I'm afraid if I go on about it, it will reveal my crush.
  • Beats In Space with Tim Sweeney.  This is for folks who have an affinity for electronic music.  If that's not your bag, I can't help you.  Move along.   
These radio stations are usually pretty reliable, too:  KEXP (Seattle), WFMU (NY), and WNYU (NY) 

2.  Broccoli slaw -- seriously.  What can't you do with it?  Burrito filler, veg egg rolls, salad, and so forth.  It's so good for you, but more importantly, it's very delicious.  If you can't figure out what to do with it, then what are you even doing in the kitchen?  Since we're talkin' food, let's give high praise to clementines and the fact that I learned to cook aloo gobi and quite well, too.


3.  Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  ATM hasn't been since the 90s and I haven't been in say... 10 years?  We try to take a mini-holiday in January to combat winter blues and for the past couple of years, we've gone to Dallax.  Being short on both time & $$$, we decided to have an in-state break.  Good idea! you say.  And how!  We stayed at the Crescent Hotel ("You've gotta do it once!" everyone said), had a really great meal at Local Flavor Cafe (start with the baked brie), and rounded out the evening with drinks at The Stone House, which is very cozy & smells faintly of cedar.  Be sure to drink way too much cava here.  Alannah knew the gang running that joint, so we could hang out longer than the 10 p.m. close time.  I had too much wine fun.  I am looking forward to going back.

So, as you look at these photos, please be on the lookout for any spooky supernatural happenings.  I haven't been able to spot any myself.  But, we spent the night in one of the most haunted buildings in America!  But, all I heard throughout the night was the radiator!

Our little room:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Resident feline putting me at ease:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Ex-, with that weak winter sunlight:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Int-:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

4.  Crystal Bridges Museum of Art.  From Eureka Springs, we trekked over to Bentonville to visit the new museum.  My whole life, I've never taken to the view that Arkansas is the most backwards state of the Union.  I've assigned that designation to some of our neighbors to the N, S, E & W of us.  On the contrary, Arkansas is a gem!  A diamond, in fact.  I was born & raised here, so perhaps I'm biased.  But, if one maintains the dim view that this is a place lacking any culture or substance, then I'm convinced you've never even been here OR that you never left the River Market.  Much to the world's *dismay (and numerous Arkansans), we got Crystal Bridges Museum.  I'd say that it's a work in progress, but it is still quite good.  Definitely a big score for our lovely little state.

This is my third Roxy Paine tree I've seen:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I'll only post a few of my favorite pieces, as to not spoil it for those who haven't been:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

5.  Kim Deal
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

6.  David Bowie
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

7.  Scouting NY is a wonderful blog by Nick, a movie location scout.  If you are like me and always wonder what it's like to go into certain buildings around here, this is like that, but in glorious world famous New York City!  Bookmark this one.  Nick is raising $$$ to make a film.  I'm willing to bet that it's worthy of a few of your dollars.

8.  Apartamento Magazine.  It is self-described as ''an everyday life interiors magazine", which is spot on.  Doable interior design & decorating, mostly with what you've got.  With a little rearranging and better lighting, your home can be wonderful!  Good voyeuristic content, as you can peek into homes of other's, but not in a Better Homes kind of way.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

9.  Weekends @ home.  It's hard fighting the urge to hop into the car and just go to Memphis, Hot Springs, or NWA.  But, with the upcoming trip to Vietnam, it makes sense to stick around and work on the house.  I like it there with the hanging out, cooking, and even cleaning.  
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

10.  Turner Classic Movies.  If the t.v. is on, it's probably on this channel.  I recently watched Pressure Point, starring Sidney Pointier -- his performance was so great that I didn't even realize I was holding my breath until I was gasping for air.  Watching old movies forces me to slow down and pay attention and really listen.  I love looking at the sets and costumes.  I actually enjoy being horrified by old timey thinking and ideas.  Some things, good and bad, don't change.

2 comments:

kmhd said...

1. I could not live w/o internet radio. Will bookmark the "djs."
2. I'm broccoli slaw curious.
3. Eureka Springs is for gay lovers. Ambiguity!
4. Since I have yet to go, my only qualm with Crystal Bridges is the name. Crystal? Tammy Bridges. Kaylee Bridges. Destiny Bridges.
5. Kim is kind of a big Deal.
6. David Bowie + Iman = hotter than magma.
7. Scouting NY = bookmarked.
8. Apartamento Magazine = bookmarked.
9. Weekends at HOME rule.
10. Sidney Poitier can dance good. See To Sir With Love

nicole said...

We love the Crescent! And thanks for a peek inside Crystal Bridges!

Blog Archive